Saturday 22 May 2010

Sunshine

It has been a love-filled week but my cup runneth not over: I want more! Now, before you start thinking that I am speaking about “fleshly” love let me disappoint you and state clearly that I am speaking about the love that has flowed from friends and family in abundance this past week. I have been spoiled rotten in terms of lunches, flowers, spontaneous visits, a bag full of lemons and two bottles of honey, sneaky tarts and chocolate biscuits waiting for me in the morning, a huge box of krispy cream doughnuts (which means another sarcastic comment about weight-gain from the nurse on the 7th of June), hugs, endless texts from my mother (I complain but secretly love receiving them), loads of facebook messages from one particular friend, a beautiful house and garden to stay in for a couple of weeks, just endless expressions of love! My heart is bursting with it all and on a sunny day like today, you couldn’t feel better!

I am staying in Tony’s house, sitting in the incorporated “conservatory” part, sunshine beating on my back, listening to Classic FM, a cheeky espresso by my side, feeling full of energy (maybe the espresso was a little strong), feeling healthy, no nausea (!!), just wanting to run the London marathon (as if!). There is a French market (hon hon hon) down the road so I shall have to make a few purchases in the cheese and saucisson department and have a true Provençale meal tonight.

Last night, I had a happy dream. I dreamed that I had gone back to visit Somerset College in Somerset West, a lovely school where I was once Director of Music. In the dream, there were people who shouldn’t have been there but it was nice to see them all. The school had put on a concert under their new DOM and we were attending the concert. I remember the opening songs sung by the choir: "Bridge over Trouble Water" and then a snazzy version of “Take a chance on me”. This is where, in my dream, Clare Coughlan (who had nothing to do with Somerset College but who is a friend from way then – Zimbabwe music camp days and the International School of South Africa) and I ended up skipping down the aisle dancing to “take a chance on me” before being dragged back to our seats and being told off by her mum! A very special appearance in the dream was David Stephens an ex-pupil who died tragically several years ago. David used to love singing and was one of my favourite pupils because he would always just sing whatever I suggested and never ever complained. I also remember Tim Nel singing a solo in the dream. Tim didn’t take singing lessons with me but was a strong feature in the 160-odd sized choir and his dad made excellent wine! "Smiley" Shannon was in the soprano section too. As usual, with dreams, once you try to describe them or write about them, they start to fade (at least I find that happens with my dreams). My friends Rob and Alex featured very strongly in this dream, although as with Clare, they had nothing to do with Somerset College. I woke up this morning with Abba’s “take a chance on me” in my head...what a lovely, catchy tune! I shall have to dig out the old Abba CD and have a boogie.

So, what does one do with a lovely summer’s day, no fixed plans, a huge house and beautiful garden, and unfortunately, no voice? Invite friends over for a whispering session, or as Brandon put it so hilariously: we can just sit and stare at each other! Friends have suggested learning sign language: I assume, therefore, that you will all learn it with me because it will look silly me signing away and you staring at me blankly wondering what on earth I am saying? I should really learn to sign because my cousin’s daughter can only communicate by sign language and I always feel like I’m letting her down when I cannot speak to her. I would love to know what’s going on inside her head...but can you teach an old dog new tricks?

Back to what to do today. Well, for starters, nothing. Just sit here and follow the sun around the room like a gecko or other-type lizard. I have thousands of avant-garde films to get through, thousands of books to read, and thousands of friends and family to see. But maybe I’ll do none of the above? Maybe I’ll do something different, daring? Maybe I will head into Camden Market and taste some food? Or go to Kentish Town and play the wonderful ‘celli dating back from the 1600s or just stay home and chase the sun, eating French baguette, French cheese and some tartiflette? Lovely to have all these choices and the option to choose none of them at all.

Right, I am about to raid Tony’s fridge for breakfast. I assure you that it shall not be something healthy and boring like cereal or oats porridge! More likely potato waffles with fried egg and a dollop of mayo perched on top.

Wishing you all a sun and love-filled weekend

The basting goose

6 comments:

  1. Honoured to have featured in your dream - sounds like it was a brilliant dream :-) Love the fact that we got told off by Mum! Have a great breakfast and enjoy the sun - I've got a band concert this afternoon (so cover your ears!) Love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we were soundly (or should that be roundly?) told off by your mum LOL Still soaking up the sun, 4 slices of toast and jam for breakkie, no intention of moving for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure I would have been dancing in the aisles with you, rather than telling you off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. saucisson is from lyon my native town!!!
    So as i am going there for my sister's 50th birthday party I will get you one!!! One only cause it's not healthy!!! cholestherol!!! :)

    unless you come with me to Lyon?!

    Alors quand est ce que tu viens?
    Françoise

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe...on se verra a Paris ou j'attendrai ton tirami-su :) But I love saucisson too so if you go to Lyon first :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Liz, I am sure you WOULD have been dancing in the aisles with us :)

    ReplyDelete