Monday 22 February 2010

Oncology appointment

Today, I was due to see the oncologist at 15h so I went early as I also had to have the pre-chemo blood tests. Unfortunately, the consultant was running at least 1 hour behind so I had a very long wait. What is one supposed to say to an oncologist who beams at you and says: "what a pleasure to see you again"??? I'm hardly comfortable saying that is also a pleasure seeing him again; after all, I'd rather not be a patient in an oncology department of the hospital. But, he is a good doctor and certainly gives you the time of day.

Good news: the MRI scan that I had on Saturday shows that everything is normal (there was some concern that the cancer was moving up there). Bad news: there was no evidence of a brain, just loads of pumpkin seeds :(

The consultant has given me more anti-sickness tabs for post-chemo as he said I shouldn't have to suffer any nausea at all. He also gave me a new treatment to try to stop the coughing. The only bad news is that I am going to have to eat branflakes and prunes, if you get my drift! He also gave me a pre-chemo magic mushroom so I won't be stressed about it. He seemed rather generous today. However, paying for three items on prescription is not so great.

Still have all my hair. Yes, ALL my hair! Have lost 1kg but not where I'd like to lose it, i.e. the belly...but time will tell, I might just get that 6-pack one day. However, I am one step away from the 6-pack because after being at UCH from 14h15 to 18h00, I stopped and ate McDonalds (second time in 3 days!) at Liverpool St Station. I normally avoid fast-food like the plague but lately...well...

Right, Morse (the parrot) needs my attention. He has been alone all day and wants to chat. I will not, however, tell him if I have or haven't done poops as he keeps asking. I will write more after chemo on Wednesday!

4 comments:

  1. Prescribed mushrooms *and* McDonalds? Lucky you.

    Keep up with the amazing blog; our thoughts are with you (well, mine are). Keep smiling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very funny Dr. M!!!

    I like the one about pumpkin seeds :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha...it's true...i saw the pictures...seeds, seeds and more seeds...no brain :) mcdonalds and magic mushrooms indeed...great doctor :)

    ReplyDelete