Thursday 18 February 2010

You have cancer

On Monday 26th January, I was told that I had lung cancer and that it was too far gone to be cured. I took the news calmly and clinically, and asked a lot of questions. When I finally left the doctors' surgery 2 hours later, the first thing I did was call my best friend Adam and try to tell him the news. Many people, him included, knew that I had gone for the results of my latest endoscopic biopsy. After being so calm in with both doctors whom I saw separately along with their entourage of "supporting" nurses and counsellors, I broke down. I paced up and down between Warren St and Goodge St stations, undecided whether to go to my medical friend John's place, or to East Finchley where I was house-sitting, or to Rob and Alex (very close friends), or to my own home to be with my lodgers to whom I felt really close. In the end, I caught the victoria line to London Victoria and got hold of Rob and asked him to meet me at the station. Sitting on the train, I kept crying, then stopping, then crying again. I am not going to go on about the myriad emotions I and my friends went through that night or the next few days as I told other friends and family, but suffice it to say, the support was and still is, amazing.

I have since had 2 sessions of chemotherapy, something I would not wish upon my worst enemy (not that I have any). However, I should not complain as I am in the best hands, have the most amazingly loving and supportive friends and family. Everyone has been just great and this is a journey that I shall not have to travel alone.

My next chemo session is on Wednesday 24th February.

3 comments:

  1. You've had so much support as you are such a fab person, and the way in which you are facing this is an inspiration to us all. Love and best wishes, Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't it unfair that teatment to help you can make you feel so yucky! We all love you and know that you are one of the strongest and bravest people I know! Love and Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of Love Angus! You are always in my thoughts. Your love and wonderfulness means you are surrounded by many, many people who adore you and who will support you so you never will be alone. Lots of love xxx Jane

    ReplyDelete