Monday 1 March 2010

How to get a couchsurfer off the couch!

Ha! This was quite something: one couchsurfer lying on the couch, legs up, book in hand, listening longingly for the sound of the kettle boiling and instead: MOI with a hoover (vacuum cleaner) in hand. Plug it in, full revs, fling the shake'n'vac wildly in the air, accidentally getting some in his hair, and hoover!!! He did a backflip off the sofa and ran upstairs so fast I didn't even see the shake'n'vac dust! Ha!

Woke up to a brilliant sunny morning. Had some honey-oats, coffee, did some emails and texting and then, yes, I can't believe I'm going to say this: had my first pooh in 3 days! LOL...sorry, I won't go into the details but it did remind me of an "epidemic" that hit Falcon College in Zimbabwe years ago. Most of the staff and pupils were affected by the water and I recall one teacher (Mike Renehan, aka "Sturdy" or "Thunder Thighs") saying: the day I produce a solid one, I am going to pick it up and admire it!

Anyway, enough of that.

I went to have my hair cut which is always fun because the Kurdish guy who cuts my hair (Adam) always gossips about his brother (Evan) (who actually owns the shop). Evan is always getting into fights over girls and taking "health" products to cope with all his lady friends and just as Adam was telling me one particular story, Evan came in through the back. It was so funny seeing Adam's face as he tried to change the subject. I was pleased to note that despite the chemo, my hair is not thinning or disappearing. It's amazing how good you feel after a haircut, provided you insist on the hairdresser doing what YOU want.

Had brunch made for me by my Polish couchsurfer (Bart) (the one lounging on the sofa shall remain unamed!), before he went off to work. Then a rest as I kinda tried to do too much today. Walking back from Sainsbury's I was annoyed to find that if I try to carry more than two bags, I have to stop to pant every few metres. Pathetic, but I will get my strength back with time. Patience has not always been one of my virtues but I am certainly learning it now. Part of the reason for the breathlessness is the fact that I have a slight cold/chest infection which is to be expected considering that my immune system is taking a battering.

Right, I'm waiting for Storme (my very first piano student zillions of years ago) to pop in. She just might be bearing a chocolate cake (she makes great cakes) in which case I shall intercept her arrival and hide the cake under the stairs for later when the couchsurfers are asleep. :-)

Thanks again for reading....if you have any questions, feel free to write them in the comments and I will answer as honestly as possible.

Goose

12 comments:

  1. I love the regurgitative flow of your blogs, Goose... but these cliffhanging posts are not okay!! Did Adam get rumbled? Did he finish the story about Evan?! Did you get chocolate cake??! Did you eat it ALL??! LOL! Voyeur? Moi? Mais non!! But please feel free to continue to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yes Adam most certainly got rumbled and was told off in Kurdish but we had a good laugh once Evan had left again, the chocolate cake could not fit in the same bag as the huge gift that Storme brought me but she will make me one soon I'm sure, and we had meatballs and spaghetti for dinner which Storme helped make. Remi (he of the backflip) did the hard work of mixing it all together. I had to distract both Storme and Remi to slip in the secret ingredient :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angus, I loved the visual of the back flipping couchsurfer ha ha, very effective :) Very pleased to hear that your hiccoughs have gone... long may that last! Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again... I linked to you from my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Mom de Plume...how do I become a follower on your blog...haha...silly me, I know I should be able to work it out but....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey :) go to my blog and scroll down til you see followers and click the tab labelled 'Follow'... To add me to your blog roll... if you so wish go to your dashboradr and click 'customise' and then you can add things at will! Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...and the secret ingredient for your spag bol is? I hope it was one of Evan's 'health' products, crushed up. What a great dinner party that would have been LOL.

    Great news about the pooh. Really glad you didn't feel the need to share pics though ;)

    When are we doing lunch? Have 4 days hols to use by the end of March.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha...if Evan knew that his health products or activities made it onto my blog, he would probably scalp me. Fortunately, he is too busy opening his new salon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love reading these....very interesting dude! ur Polish couchsurfer was nice enough 2 make u brunch after u shampooed his hair with dust? one can only wonder what other 'ingredients' he added 2 that brunch when u wasn't looking...hmmm???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bro your blog is certainly interesting loved comments on our dear Aunty Jane. Its nice to have some way of expressing ones self and I think this media is most suitable. Perhaps I may at some point write something which will probably about my outdoor experiences. Keep on writing and hell get the ebook out....Cheers! No wait this writing stuff is hard had to keep checking spelling. Remember I only went to school to play and eat my sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. About that 'pooh', Mr "Hiccoughs-and-not-Hiccups"

    (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hiccough Trust an English major to put you straight..lol)

    That's actually 'poo', without the 'h'... What WOULD dear, old Winnie and all his friends say to you if they heard that insult?!?

    Hai, sies, jong!

    Love you, Marge. Let me know when you're next home so I can make sure I've got some choccies (or should that be salt 'n vinegar chips these days?) on hand ;-)

    Big hugs!! You're always in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Running up escalators are we!Soon we restart our training regimen, no? Protein and carbs, 4 sets of ten, keep that back straight, bend the knees, focus, stop the whining, 30 more seconds...can't wait!

    iain

    ReplyDelete